- Enjoy accounts of the agony of the blocked writer? Read Geoff Dyer’s ‘Out of Sheer Rage”
- Starting up again, after a long writing drought
- Rip Van Winkle Writing Habits: How long does it take to change them?
- Sean Connery finds his long-lost writing mojo in “Finding Forrester”
- Refrigerator Refuge for Blocked Writers
Category Archives: Writing for money
Can a shrink, a dog, and a stripper cure a writing block? Yes, if “The Dog Problem” can be believed.
Perhaps inadvisably, I often watch movies about blocked writers as I search for new and effective strategies for helping writers write. The archetype of the blocked writer must be universally compelling because there are literally scads of these movies in circulation. … Continue reading
At a recent Sotheby’s auction, a short letter written by Franz Kafka to the poet Albert Ehrenstein was sold for $74,500 dollars. In the letter, Kafka complains about his writer’s block. Luckily his block wasn’t so bad that couldn’t write a … Continue reading
There are deadlines that make it hard not to notice the word ‘dead’ in ‘deadline.’ In the classic movie High Noon, the noon train is coming and Gary Cooper decides to risk his life, and his marriage to meet the … Continue reading
Typically, when a protagonist has a writing block, it means he/she will have to face adversity, resolve inner conflicts, grow and learn, then find love and write again. Not so for John Goodman in the first season of the HBO … Continue reading